The President provides vision and leadership for the Genesee County Chamber of Commerce in carrying out the mission as the leading force in improvement of the business environment, economic health, and development and prosperity of the region. The President is the most prominent representative of the business community and is intended to be the principal voice for business in Genesee County.
Major Roles & Responsibilities
•Ensure development and execution of strategic, operational, and financial plans
• Lead the Chamber’s political, policy and advocacy activities with top officials at the local, regional, state, and national levels
• Build and lead an innovative Chamber by incorporating best practices
• Cultivate strong relationships with key community leaders and other related organizations
• Building coalitions necessary to accomplish organizational goals
• Learn and maintain awareness and knowledge about the political, business, and community affairs of the region
• Ensure the organization attains goals adopted by the Board of Directors
• Proactive management of relationships and communications with the Board of Directors
• Provide advice and counsel to the Chairman of the Board and Executive Committee
• Attract, retain, develop, and manage an appropriate staff to meet organizational needs
• Recruit and retain membership in accordance with organizational targets
• Organize and lead fund development activities
• Manage the operational functions of the organization, including business development, governmental affairs, policy, membership/volunteer development, marketing, communications, finance, and accounting
• Represent the organization and its positions to the media and other stakeholder groups
• Provide oversight of finances and budget management
• Monitor and manage the volunteers and committees to meet goals and objectives
• Provide oversight of day-to-day operations
To successfully execute the goals of Genesee County Chamber of Commerce, the President will need to
cultivate positive relationships with a wide variety of local, regional, and state stakeholders including:
• Chamber of Commerce Board Members
• State, regional, and local Business leaders
• Economic development officials
• Leaders of related associations and organizations
• Government officials
• University/Education leaders
• National, state, and local media
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree desired
• Minimum of seven years of executive/senior-level experience in business, nonprofit, or public sector organization, in progressively responsible roles
• Familiarity with Genesee County
• Experience leading membership-based organizations
• Demonstrated fundraising experience with events and campaigns
• Marketing, public relations, social media, and/or communications
• Public policy, government affairs
• Economic development; business retention and expansion
• Impeccable integrity, character
• Inspiring leadership and management skills
• Critical, strategic thinker; problem-solver
• Strong analytical and organizational skills
• Proven ability to lead change
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including an ability to prepare and deliver public presentations to inform and influence
• Prior experience working with business leaders
• Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to relate well to both small business people and high-level corporate executives
• Dynamic, high energy; ability to thrive under pressure
• Positive attitude; demonstrate a genuine interest and enthusiasm for the work and appreciation of others
• Innovator; highly creative
• Astute listener
• Life-long learner
• Cultural appreciation and sensitivity
• Develop and demonstrate a passion for community
• Budgeting, fundraising, and finance skills
• Commitment to diversity and equal opportunity
• A good sense of humor
The Genesee County Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber brings together representatives of business, industry, agriculture, and other organization from throughout the county to promote a vibrant local economy.
Mission: The Genesee County Chamber of Commerce is a private, not-for-profit, membership-driven organization, that brings together representatives from throughout the county to promote a vibrant local economy. Our membership consists of businesses and organizations from all facets of our local community. With over 500 business members, The Chamber leads in the pursuit of creating an environment for business success in Genesee County. This success ultimately aims to improve the
quality of life for the citizens of Genesee County.
Vision: We will be the integral resource for creating prosperity and excellence for the Genesee County Business Community.
The Genesee Chamber has a variety of initiatives in place to further Genesee County and to strengthen its economy.
• We promote and support local business.
• We host professional seminars and business workshops.
• We offer business consultation and business support.
• We offer exclusive Chamber discounts and deals.
• We coordinate networking events that foster business-to-business relationships.
• We keep our members informed of local events and initiatives.
• We promote Genesee County and its business environment.
• We operate the Genesee County Visitor’s Center.
• We have an award-winning Tourism Department.
The Place- Genesee County, New York
Centrally located between Rochester and Buffalo with easy access to Niagara Falls and Canada, Genesee
County lies at the heart of Western New York, USA offering easy access to 3 exits on the NYS Thruway, I- 90. Enjoy small town living with big city life just a short drive away!
In Genesee County, we strive to make a difference, directing our efforts towards making our community a better place. Genesee County is a 21st Century community — citizens and their government working in partnership for the benefit of all. Our residents feel secure knowing that our neighborhoods are safe. Children can still ride their bikes,
play in their backyards, and walk around town with friends.